Sunday 30 October 2011

Thought of the week:happy halloween!

This week's thought of the week: How do we stop ourselves from being or becoming judgemental? This is something i personally really struggle with, and although I often fail, I think maybe I've picked up a few tips along the way. No one likes to be seen as judgemental, and in many cases it's just not right. Now, I wouldn't have really thought of myself as judgemental before I really started thinking about it. I was quite open minded, appreciated that everyone had the right to pretty much do their won thing. But I live in a slightly rougher area of town:the nicer end of the rougher area mind you, but every day on my way to uni or work I see drug addicts and alcoholics wandering the streets, some asking strangers for money, or yelling at each other...or worse their kids. It makes me want to curl up inside away from their harsh reality. I was brought up quite well, that should always mind your manners, and care about what other people think about you. So whether I want to or not, I find myself being judgemental about these sorts of people. It was my boyfriend who brought my attention to the fact i was very judgemental, or to put it differently a snob. I guess there are different types of judgemetalism: for example, I know a man, whom I dislike greatly, purely because he has judged me. He thinks he knows who I am and what i'm about purely because of my accent and the way I live my life. He is incredibly judgemental. Possibly though, in a reverse way than I am. But my point is, if we have something like that ingrained in us from an early age, how do we stop ourselves from thinking these thoughts? as the old saying goes, you never truly know a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. This applies greatly here. I do not know how tough some of these people's lives are. I come home every day to a loving home, and a warm bed. Who am i to judge anybody else? Love and Peace Serin x

No comments:

Post a Comment